OCR Warning: Patient Right of Access to Medical Records Can’t be Denied
August 09, 2022
Timothy Powell, CPA | Laurie M. Johnson, MS | John Zelem, MD | Stanley Nachimson, MS | Terry A. Fletcher, BS | Erica Remer, MD
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) of the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) is warning healthcare providers about the mandatory compliance with the HIPAA Right of Access promulgated in the 21st Century CURES Act. So far, enforcement actions bring to 38 the number of financial penalties against HIPAA-covered entities for failing to provide patients with timely access to their medical records.
During the next live edition of the long-running Talk Ten Tuesdays, nationally recognized professional coder, auditor and consultant Terry Fletcher, reports on the do’s and don’ts of withholding patient requests for their protected health information. Fletcher will also delve into the penalties and legal exposure that awaits those who are non-compliant.
Other segments during the live broadcast include the following:
- Coding Report: Laurie Johnson, senior healthcare consultant with Revenue Cycle Solutions, LLC will report on the latest coding news.
- News Desk: Timothy Powell, CPA will anchor the Talk Ten Tuesdays News Desk.
- RegWatch: Stanley Nachimson, former CMS career professional-turned-well-known healthcare IT authority, will report on the latest regulatory news coming out of Washington, D.C.
- Journaling John: John Zelem, MD, FACS, founder and CEO for Streamline Solutions Consulting, will continue with his journal entry.
- TalkBack: Erica Remer,MD, founder and president of Erica Remer, MD, Inc. and Talk Ten Tuesdays co-host, will report on a subject that has caught her attention during her popular segment.
Terry A. Fletcher, BS, CPC